Engineering Program Manager (Rice Creek, Minnesota, United States)
RTG (Restorative Therapies Group) Overview
The Restorative Therapies Group develops life-restoring therapies and healthcare solutions that span the care continuum; integrating technologies and applying clinical and economic evidence to increase patient access, improve efficiency of procedures and deliver successful patient outcomes.
- SPINE shapes spine surgery for the better; delivering procedural solutions and therapeutic biologics and partnering with other healthcare stakeholders to accelerate innovations that can improve surgical efficiencies and help create better outcomes for more patients.
- BRAIN THERAPIES offers an integrated portfolio of devices
and therapies for the treatment of neurological disorders and diseases, as well as surgical technologies designed to improvethe precision and workflow of neuro procedures.
- PAIN THERAPIES offers solutions — from early interventional procedures to implantable surgical technologies — that treat chronic pain as well as pain from spinal fractures, cancer and severe spasticity.
- SPECIALTY THERAPIES offers a broad portfolio that addresses urologic and gastrointestinal disorders, conditions of the ear, nose and throat, as well as electrosurgical products for soft tissue dissection and hemostatic sealing of soft tissue and bone.
The Patient Care Devices Engineering Program Manager is responsible for engineering project management of new external instruments with significant software project components within the Restorative Therapies Group.
- Responsible for engineering aspects of products related to external therapy control instruments portion of implantable Neuromodulation systems. Work closely with stakeholders and lead cross functional teams to develop and launch optimal product solutions based on understanding of user needs, business needs, clinical procedures, technologic and strategic roadmaps, and sound engineering principles. Lead cross functional engineering teams to develop external therapy control products along with the evidence required by global regulatory agencies.
- Provide detailed direction for engineering teams through a staged product development process to achieve product and business requirements. Responsible for developing, communicating, and documenting project strategies, status, decisions, and plans. Typically responsible for development activities from project initiation through post 6 months market release. Exercise sound technical judgment within defined practices and policies. Facilitate cross business communication and coordination to ensure successful outcomes of projects to meet business needs.
- Form, manage, and lead technical product development teams as appropriate.
- Interface closely with business leadership, internal sales personnel, customer service, repair, quality, and marketing groups to effectively launch and support new products in the field.
- Assure timely generation of project deliverables in support of the project contract, phase reviews, and business objectives.
- Ensure all quality system deliverables are met, support audits, and support timely responses to any regulatory body reviewing the product for approval.
- Communicate and coordinate with engineering and other cross-functional disciplines in proactive ways that ensure project deliverables are completed without negatively impacting schedules or milestones.
- Proactively provide early/continuous understanding of critical/unique elements of the project.
- Provide active mentorship and management support to Extended Team Members to drive project success.
- Champion initiatives that drive toward achievement of Patient Care Devices strategic initiatives and engineering objectives
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION, THE FOLLOWING BASIC QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE EVIDENT ON YOUR RESUME
• 5+ years product development experience in development of medical products.
• 5+ years of experience with Bachelors Degree or
• 3+ years of experience with Masters Degree
• 10+ years product development in engineering and/or project management roles in development of medical products.
• Demonstrated track record of successfully leading projects to completion and launch in the regulated medical device industry.
• Highly developed skill set in technical project leadership including ability to lead technical teams, manage risks and apply sound technical judgment to decisions. Excellent downward, lateral, and upward communication skills.
• Ability to communicate well with highly technical and skilled customers.
• Good balance of high level strategic and detailed technical/tactical thought processes and judgment.
• Preferred requirements include an M.S. in engineering or technical discipline and more than 10 years’ experience.
• Experience developing medical software applications with user interfaces.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We can accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.